Dear Butler AB Sophomores,
The semester is flying by, and it’s time to start thinking about your academic program for next semester again! The sophomore advising period will be from Monday, November 26 to Friday, December 7 at 3:00pm by which time your Academic Planning Form must be approved by your adviser or a hold will be placed on your registration. Sophomore online course enrollment begins December 10 at 7:30am and ends December 12. Observe these dates carefully, as there is a $10.00 per day late penalty.
Here’s the snapshot version of your next steps as an AB candidate. (If you are considering a switch to BSE, you should contact Dean Peter Bogucki and me as soon as possible.):
1) Make adviser appointment
2) Do some course research, talk with peer advisers
3) Fill out your Academic Planning Form on TigerHub BEFORE your appointment
4) Meet with your adviser and getelectronic approval of your form
Now some details:
MAKE AN ADVISING APPOINTMENT
Use the online scheduler to arrange a time to meet with your faculty adviser. (If you are unsure of your adviser’s name, you can find it in TigerHub by clicking on “View Advisers” in the left menu). If your adviser’s appointments aren’t listed, please contact him or her directly.
BE SURE TO COMPLETE YOUR ACADEMIC PLANNING FORM IN ADVANCE. (This is very important. See below for instructions.) If for any reason you cannot make your appointment, notify your adviser in advance and reschedule the meeting. Advisers may not have openings late in the advising period, so try to meet with them as soon as you are able.
EXPLORE COURSES OFFERINGS AND MAJORS AND TALK TO PEER ADVISERS
When choosing courses, here are several important considerations:
- Major. You have one semester remaining to continue exploring your options and fulfill pre-reqs. You can find tips on selecting your major and a list of helpful advising resources on thisChoosing a Major page.
- Distribution Requirements. Normally, you should only have one or two left when you enter junior year.
- Cast Your Net Widely. You might be surprised at what you find under programs like EGR, JRN, DAN, LCA, ATL, GSS, or HUM. Check out the list of Courses in Race, Ethnicity, and Cross-Cultural Encounter and the Program for Community-Engaged Scholarship course list.
I encourage you to talk with your Butler Peer Academic Advisers, especially the one assigned to your zee group but also any others that may be knowledgeable about a field that interests you. (If there is no Butler PAA in that field, you can find PAAs at other colleges at https://paanetwork.princeton.edu.) PAAs are happy to get emails from you, and have lots of great advice. In addition, we will be sponsoring advising malls after Thanksgiving where you’ll have the chance to talk with PAAs and other students in various AB and BSE fields and get their advice about classes. Watch your email for announcements.
ACADEMIC PLANNING FORM
AB sophomores must submit your Academic Planning Form (APF) before meeting with your adviser. There are two steps to submitting a completed APF:
- Send a plan from the Course Planner to your course queue. Those courses will then appear in the APF. If you use ReCal, you have to add those courses to the course queue manually or first transfer them to the Registrar’s Course Planner.
- Complete the remainder of the APF by clicking the “Academic Planning Form” link on TigerHub. It is NOT sufficient to fill out only your course planner.
- Click submit. If you do not do this, your adviser cannot approve your APF.
Brief instructions on filling out the APF are attached.
4. MEET WITH YOUR ADVISER
You must have a face-to-face advising conversation with your adviser before they will approve your Academic Planning Form. Be sure to give yourself time to complete your academic planning form BEFORE your advising appointment, and come to your meeting prepared to discuss your general academic plans as well as specific course selections, including some alternates in case courses close.
Your APF will be approved by your adviser electronically via an adviser checkbox following your appointment. You can verify for yourself that this box has been checked by logging into TigerHub and going to your APF. The Academic Planning Form must be approved by your A.B. adviserno later than 3:00 p.m. December 7. If your adviser has not indicated approval and confirmed that you met by checking the box on the electronic APF, a hold will be placed on your online course enrollment when it begins on Monday, December 10 at 7:30am.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me or Dean Stirk.
Matthew Lazen, Ph.D.
Director of Studies